Climate Bonds in partnership with the City of London and the Green Finance Initiative, held the 2nd Annual Green Bond Awards at Guildhall celebrating the stand outs and pioneers of the rapidly growing green bonds market.
The 2017 conference was hugely over-subscribed, well above total venue capacity. We expected an audience of 300 delegates. We received approximately 600 registrations from 41 different nations.
Leaders and organisations from Poland, Costa Rica, Mexico, Australia, Morocco, Netherlands etc were recognised at the Green Bond Pioneer Awards Ceremony following the Climate Bonds 2017 Annual Conference.
The award ceremony followed a packed day of conference sessions that saw standing room only in plenaries as expert speakers discussed the year ahead and prospects for green finance out to 2020.
The Awards are in recognition of leading organisations, financial institutions and governments, who have pushed green finance forward and developed the green bonds market in the past year through their pioneering initiatives and issuances, providing a positive example of low carbon investments. There were 16 categories of Awards in 2017, including the world's first sovereign green bond and eight pioneer issuers in various regions.
Award Winners by Category:
- First Sovereign Green Bond - Poland
- First Green Schuldschein - Nordex (Germany)
- First RMBS - Obvion N.V (Netherlands)
- Largest Single Green Bond - Bank of Communications (China)
- Largest Non-Financial Corporate Green Bond - Grupo Aeroportuaro Ciudad de Mexico (Mexico)
- Largest Overall Issuer - SPD Bank (China)
- Innovative Regulator - People‚Äôs Bank of China PboC (China)
- Most Second Opinions in 2016 - CICERO (Norway)
- New Country Issuances:
- Philippines - AP Renewables
- Colombia - Grupo BanColombia
- Costa Rica - Banco Nacional de Costa Rica
- Finland - Municipality Finance (MuniFin)
- Morocco - Masen
- Luxembourg - Alpha Trains
- Regional Sub-Sovereign - Mexico City (LatAm)
- Regional Sub-Sovereign - Treasury Corporation of Victoria (Asia-Pacific)
2017 Green Bond Certificates
In addition to the awards, a series organizations have also been granted Recognition Certificates, encompassing the following categories: Sub-national/Municipal, Development Banks, Commercial Banks, Corporates, Structured, Certifications, and Market Infrastructure.
Certificate Recipients by Category:
- Sub-national/Muni, Largest Overall Issuer - New York MTA, USA
- The First Chinese Policy Bank Green Bond Issuer - Export-Import Bank of China
- Development Bank, Largest Overall Issuer - European Investment Bank
- Corporates, Country Pioneer New Entrant - Hyundai, South Korea
- Corporates, Largest Overall - Iberdrola, Spain
- Structured, Country Pioneer New Entrant, 1st ABS - Flexigroup, Australia
- Structured, Country Pioneer New Entrant, 1st ABS - Suzano/EcoAgro, Brazil
- Structured, First Dual Recourse in China - Bank of China
- Structured, Largest ABS in 2016 - Toyota, Japan
- Certifications, First Water - San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (SFPUC) USA
- Certifications, Largest Certified (and first in France) - SNCF R√©seau, France
- Certifications, First certified Green Bond from a University - Monash University, Australia
- Certifications, First Indian Certified Bond - Hero Futures Energy, India
- Certifications, First Certified Green Loan - Strasser Capital/MEP Werke, Germany
- Certifications, First Certified German Bank Bond - DKB, Germany
- Certifications, Indices: First Unlabeled Green Bond Index - CCDC, China
- Market Infrastructure, Pioneer Listing Rules - Shanghai Stock Exchange
- Market Infrastructure, Pioneer Listing Rules - London Stock Exchange
- Market Infrastructure, Pioneer Listing Rules - Mexico Stock Exchange
- Market Infrastructure, Pioneer Listing Rules - Luxembourg Stock Exchange
What the winners think about the Green Bond Awards: